If you’re a St. Louis homeowner fence shopping for the first time, your options can be overwhelming. Not only do you have to choose between fence types, materials, and styles, but also find and select a fencing contractor you can trust. Make the right decisions, and you have a great fence that protects and beautifies your home. Make the wrong ones, and you could spend endless hours maintaining your fence or hundreds of dollars repairing it down the road.
It’s time to take the stress out of shopping and spend that time enjoying your beautiful new fence and yard. By asking yourself a few simple questions, you can quickly narrow down your choices both in terms of fencing styles and fencing installers in St. Louis.
Top Fence Shopping Questions to Make Your Choice Easier
- What do I want my fence to do? Do you need a simple garden fence to steer deer away from your garden? A privacy fence to keep peeping eyes from snooping into your backyard? A safety fence to seal off your swimming pool from kids and pets? Once you know your fence’s purpose, you and your fencing contractor can better determine the height you need, the optimal space between pickets, and the overall fence length required for your project.
- What types of fences can I choose from? Fencing is manufactured from a variety of materials, from standard wood or chain-link to more durable options like simulated stone or vinyl. Once you pick a material, you’ll need to determine if you want to go traditional or contemporary, if accessories like gates or arbors should be added, and what color best compliments your home. Maintenance-Free Outdoor Solutions carries a variety of fence brands, including Bufftech, Elite Fence, SimTek, and Ameristar, so you’re sure to find the right choice for you.
- What kind of fence looks best in my St. Louis neighborhood? Well, that all depends. If you live in more urban neighborhoods like Soulard or the Central West End, ornamental steel fencing or aluminum fencing tie in nicely with the brick and decorative accents of St. Louis’s historic homes. In more suburban areas of Chesterfield, Arnold, or Florissant, vinyl fencing and simulated stone tend to be more popular among homeowners who prefer a contemporary look. But really, it comes down to your home’s design and your own personal style.
- Should I go with front yard fencing, back yard fencing, or both? While backyard fences are the usual go-to for St. Louis homeowners, front yard fencing is an option for many. In the city where front yards are often larger than backyards, an eye-catching residential aluminum or ornamental fence with a gate can provide safety for pets and young kids while still providing easy access for visitors and your neighborhood letter carrier. Also, make sure your subdivision association and the municipality you reside in allows you to install a fence in your front yard. Each neighborhood holds to their own rules; better to check it out before you purchase your new fence.
- Will a fenced-in yard increase my home’s resale value? According to real estate company Century 21, fencing is one of the top 10 ways to add value to your home. It’s an especially strong selling point if your neighborhood attracts young families with children or pets who need that extra level of safety. The key is to choose higher-end fencing that requires little maintenance and continues to look good year after year, as opposed to wood and chain link fence which depreciate and lose their aesthetic appeal over the years.
- Which fencing requires the least amount of maintenance? If you’d rather spend your summers barbecuing and listening to baseball than staining and repairing your fence, a maintenance-free option is a better deal in the long run. Unlike wood fences that can fade, splinter, and warp or chain-link fences that can rust, vinyl, aluminum, and simulated stone stand up to the harshest St. Louis weather every season.
- What happens if something goes wrong with my fence? The right fencing contractor will offer a factory warranty on the fences they carry as well as a satisfaction guarantee on their installation. For instance, all fences Maintenance-Free Outdoor Solutions stocks and installs include limited lifetime warranties, with some like Bufftech vinyl fencing offering an extra layer of protection to cover repair and replacement costs for five years.
- Which permits are required for fence installation? Every neighborhood and municipality have different regulations about fence heights or the type of materials used. Before beginning your fence hunt, read over your Homeowners Association by-laws to ensure you follow proper guidelines. It’s also a good idea to contact your local municipality for any potential restrictions before getting fence quotes. That way your quotes will be written in a manner that’s sure to be approved by the municipality.
- How do I know I’m choosing the right St. Louis fence installer near me? Simply picking a contractor from Google isn’t the best route to take. You need to do a little research to ensure your choice is the right one. Take a look around your neighborhood for fencing you like and ask the homeowner who they used or recommend. Or, peruse the Better Business Bureau website in St. Louis for highly rated contractors. Not to toot our own horn, but Maintenance-Free Outdoor Solutions has had an A+ rating since 2001! Once you meet with a contractor, ask about their scheduling, installation process and warranties to ensure they fit what you’re looking for.
- How much should I budget for my fence? And there’s the big question. Home fencing can run anywhere from $1,000 to $15,000 or more, depending on the size of your yard and the material you use. Consider a wooden fence; it’s cheaper but only lasts on average seven years. Vinyl, steel, and aluminum are more expensive, but last a lifetime and require little maintenance. To get the most bang for your buck, work with a fencing contractor who will provide an on-site estimate at your home and who fully understands your budget constraints.
Expert Answers to Your Toughest Fencing Questions
Find the fencing you’ve always wanted and can always count on. Contact us, Maintenance-Free Outdoor Solutions in St. Louis. Our fencing experts make fence shopping less of a hassle and more of a conversation by discovering what you need, your budget and your personal style, and finding affordable fencing solutions that meet all three. Check out our eBook, Understanding the Maintenance-Free Lifestyle, to learn how the right maintenance-free products can make a difference for your home.