A fence installation project can add immediate value to your home and provide the privacy and security you always wanted. But as with any home improvement project, there are lots of things to consider before jumping in. From choosing fencing materials to setting a budget, having a plan in place today can save you from any headaches down the road.
Before Your Big Fence Installation
If you’ve been on the fence about whether or not to start your own fencing project, making just a few decisions can help point you in the right direction:
- What should be my first step? Your initial step should be to find out if installing a fence is even allowed by your homeowner’s association (HOA). A growing number of HOA’s in St. Louis are placing strict requirements on the height and style of fences they’ll allow in their neighborhoods. Be sure to read your by-laws carefully, and if required, secure approval from the board before breaking ground. The last thing you want to do is invest in a fence only to have to tear it down after installation.
- What do I want my fence to do for me? If you’re looking for a retreat from the noise and prying eyes, a vinyl privacy fence may be your best option. Want to have an open view of the neighborhood but still keep your pets and kids safe? Then consider a spaced picket or “picket thru” rail option that is both open and secure. Home fencing can play a number of roles, and knowing which one should take center stage can help you determine the right style for your needs.
- Which fence complements my home and my personality? Maintenance-Free Outdoor Solutions carries a full line of fencing options. Our design experts can work with you to identify your personal style, whether it’s cutting-edge or traditional, and help you bring it to the great outdoors with fencing that also enhances the look of your home. We can even accent your fence with stylish end caps and attention-grabbing fence accessories.
- How much time can I dedicate to upkeep? The amount of maintenance you have to dedicate to your fence depends on the fencing materials you choose. Wood is often cheaper, but it has to be painted or stained frequently and is prone to split, crack and lean. If you want to devote your summers to relaxation, vinyl, aluminum or simulated stone may be better choices.
- How much do I want to spend? Fencing costs range significantly depending on the materials used and the accents you choose. To get the most bang for your buck, find your property survey, so you know exactly how many linear feet of fencing you need. Spend time researching the different fencing materials available and the estimated cost of maintenance. You may also want to get estimates from a number of fencing companies before making your final choice.
Undecided On A Fence? Dig In With Our Ultimate Guide to Fencing Ebook! Get this free guide now!
If you have decided on a maintenance-free vinyl fence, then we’ve got an important post for you to check out: How to Install a Vinyl Fence: 9 Simple Tips.
The Fence Experts are Here to Help
Need a little guidance when finalizing your fence installation decisions? Maintenance-Free Outdoor Solutions is here to help! Our Maintenance-Free Living eBook highlights simple tips to make selecting, budgeting, and installing your fence easier than you imagined. Download it today and get one step closer to the yard you always imagined!